Sunday, July 11, 2010

Local Area Network help !?

I have a Dell laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. I want to use the Local Area Network, and I have a modem. The modem's working fine, and I gave all the right connections. But Vista says "There is no network connection." LAN is enabled, but its status is always "Network Cable unplugged". I have set the "Obtain IP address automatically" option. If I diagnose the problem, Vista says "A cable is not plugged into the network adapter 'Local Area Network'".





I used the same modem, with the same connections, on my PC running Windows XP SP2. It works fine. I don't know what additional settings you have to do in Windows Vista. Could someone please help me solve this maddening problem? It would be helpful if you could please tell me, step by step, the process of installing or configuring %26lt;whatever%26gt; the LAN in Vista?





Thanks.

Local Area Network help !?
Check to makes sure the network card is activated. Check under device manager to see if it is not disable and that the correct drivers are loaded. Otherwise you might need the updated vista drivers for your system.
Reply:Ok so if your sure the modem and cables the nfrom what i know that leaves three things:





1.) I your using a differant computer then the one that your using XP on it may be that the network card is broken or maybe just not pushed all the way into the motherboard.


(dont push to hard you dont want to break the card or the board)





2.) Vista may not support the current driver that you have loaded check the manufacters website for a vista driver.





3.) Your router may not support vista so there for its acting like its its not connected when really it is.





remember to make sure to have the tcp/Ip protocal installed on your card to. I havent been on my vista for a while but the way you make sure its enabled in XP is:


-open the my network connections


-right click your connection (Local connection)


-click propertys


-scroll down in the window that appears and make sure "Internet Protocal (tcp/ip) is on the list





oh and make sure to disable your firewall cause it could be blocking all connections


I hope you enjoy the rest of vista


No comments:

Post a Comment