Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How to log back into wireless network when the SSID disappeared (Novell server with a IBM R51 Thinkpad)?

I can't get onto my usual network at school, which is hooked up to a Novell Server. The wireless card on my laptop was turned off yesterday. When it was turned back on, the usual network SSID wasn't there when I looked for it under IBM ThinkVantage Access Connections. Instead, all I saw was a bunch of unnamed wireless networks (there are several routers in the building), which I assume is the regular network, but I don't have a privilege or right to view or connect to them.





I know that nothing is wrong with the network itself, since I'm on it now with another laptop typing this, and this network this has happened to other people I know on the same network (it's at school). When it happened to them, it came back after a day, but they're not sure what they did to get it back.





What can I do to get the network to show back up so I can connect to it?

How to log back into wireless network when the SSID disappeared (Novell server with a IBM R51 Thinkpad)?
I would start by going as close as possible to the wireless router in question so as to ensure a strong signal, and then restarting the laptop. If it's still a no-go, you might also try enabling the Windows wireless connection manager rather than using the one provided by IBM. Also, is it possible that they recently upgraded their router to 802.11g, disallowed access to 802.11b connections, and you happen to have an older 802.11b wireless card? If all else fails, you could try manually adding a profile using the SSID of the router to your connection manager. Even if it doesn't pick up the SSID broadcast, it may still be able to connect (I keep the SSID of my router purposely turned off for security reasons, so that people in my neighborhood don't know I'm running one).


No comments:

Post a Comment