Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Installing a computer network, what do I need?

I recently set up dsl in my house and I want to create a wireless network so that I can have it available on other computers in the house. I know that I need to buy a wireless network router, but do I also have to buy a wireless network adapter? I don't think that my laptop's Ethernet cable seems to be working, so can I use a usb instead? I am so confused as to what I need, and what I don't need to set up the network. My local area connection says "a network cable is unplugged", is that because I don't have anything set up or is there a problem with it? Also! I have an external cable modem on my laptop, is that going to cause a problem? Please help!

Installing a computer network, what do I need?
Yes, you will need a wireless network adapter for every pc, except the laptop (depending on its age). Most laptops manufactured in the last four years have a wireless NIC (network interface card) installed on the motherboard. You say that you have DSL, but you also have a cable modem? I assume the cable modem is through your cable company, but why do you have both DSL and cable internet access?





You will need to connect the router to the DSL modem and you will have to connect a pc physically (via network cable) to configure it. Then you will have to configure any computers that are to be wireless to the router settings.
Reply:You will need.





1x Wireless router (This is what the internet will plug into aswel )


and some PCMCIA wireless cards for the laptops and sone internal PCI wireless cards for your normal PCs





I would suggest talking to an advisor at your local PC superstore


they will tell you what you need


No comments:

Post a Comment