Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cannot connect to network printer?

My Dell laptop cannot connect to a network printer that is connected to my desktop PC. Through my wireless router, my desktop computer can print to my upstairs printer when it is connected to my laptop, but my laptop cannot print to the network printer that is connected to the desktop. When I go to add the network printer, the desktop PC's computer name appears in the list, but when I click on it the timer comes up and eventually says that the ip address cannot be found. My desktop can connect to network printers that are directly connected into my laptop, but my laptop cannot connect through the network to printers connected directly in the desktop. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Cannot connect to network printer?
Is the printer being shared on the Desktop?





Testing to see if the printer is shared.


1. On the desktop, find the IP address of the desktop. (Click Start - Click Run - type cmd and hit enter- type ipconfig and hit enter, your ip address should be listed)


2. On the laptop, open the desktop shared folder (Start - run - type \\%26lt;ipconfig%26gt; - enter) A windows should be listed and printers should be a folder in there. If it's not listed or the printer isn't available, then the desktop isn't sharing the printer properly.


3. Click the printer you want and it should allow you to print to this new printer.


No comments:

Post a Comment