Thursday, August 19, 2010

Network connection?

Am I able to tell if someone has broken into my network, which is by the way, security enabled. in fact can I tell if someone is using my connection at the same time that I am on the system myself.





At home, where I have my network set up, when I search for available networks, I get a second one, which is also security enabled, but shows even stronger signal strength as my own.


how is that.

Network connection?
In your command prompt you can type in (without quotes) "net view" this will show you who is on your network currently.





You can also go to [My Network Places: Entire Network: Microsoft Windows Network] and look at all the Groups and Domains to see if anybody else is there.





Your third option is to log into the router, and look at the logs.





The other network may be giving a better signal for many reasons... bigger antenna.. better router/access point... directional antenna pointed towards you.





Hope this helps.
Reply:Use a mac filter to prevent anyone other than you (or the people you want) from gaining access. This should be under your wireless security options tab, and you can find your mac address by typing "ip config all" in the command prompt, which can be found as cmd.exe in the Windows System 32 folder. Make sure to use the wireless adapter physical address, not ethernet.





That will prevent access, and encryption is only for the purpose of preventing someone from READING the data you send.





Your neighbor's connection might be stronger because he has a signal booster, or because your signal goes through some interrupting conduit in the house and his doesn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment